M.O.B.A is a new complete project/tutorial, currently under development for the Unity Asset Store. It will teach you how to create a moba game (like LoL, Dota 1/2, Hon, HotS, etc), with a sci-fi setting (a bit like starcraft), and it will come with all assets, source code, two detailed PDF tutorials, and a video series.
[new] Video #0 of the tutorial series:
Demos (free downloads):
Quick reference guide:
I’ve already developed a simple MOBA before (for a local 24h speed-jam challenge a couple of years ago), but this time the feature set is more complete, and I’ll be using many nice features from Unity and Photon Network (the most popular network infra-structure for Unity).
Feature-list for release (planned for April 2016):
- Game lobby, match creation, match making, etc;
- Hero-selection screen, team setup;
- Navmesh-enabled three-lane map with “jungle” areas and Fog of War;
- Home base, nexus, towers and inhibitors;
- Data structures for storing match statistics per team/player;
- Minion, tower and jungle-creature AIs;
- Modular, heavily commented code;
- Original animated 3D mecha models (source blender files might be provided for buyers on request);
- Authoritative master-client architecture (a player machine acts as authoritative server for the others);
- Event-oriented communication with server, local navigation and animations (not relying on Transform synchronisation to avoid overloading the network);
- Text chat;
- Easy data-based system for setting up ability trees, items, power-ups, etc
Planned for incremental updates:
- New heros (4 sample heros will be available on launch, more will come with each incremental update);
- [maybe] persistence inventory system;
The features are mostly based on LoL, but we’re totally open for suggestions on how to make this a great asset for you guys. As it’s being the case with PUN Rally, the other pack we’ve released for the asset store, this pack will receive a lot of updates and support through the official forum thread.
Besides all these features, we’re working with a set of meta-goals to make this a killer tutorial for beginners, and also a good material for more experienced developers who may want to save time:
- Code organisation: Every single script should have less than 50 lines of code (besides the heavy commenting – I want the code to be very easy to understand);
- Script reuse: Individual scripts for character-data, weapon, animation-control, etc, will be the same for towers, heros, minions and buildings, just using different parameters;
- Project organization: there will be only three scenes, and assets will be straightforward to find and replace;
- Extensibility: a moba is a very complex type of game, so the project must be very flexible, and I’ll include options for control schemes besides the data-based system for weapons, items, etc. As with the projects, I’ll be willing to support any developer who uses our pack to create a game based on this pack;
PS #1: A side note for GDC attendees: We’re planning to have a working demo ready for the conference this year (Erick will be there), so if any of you want to test it there, please keep in contact.
PS #2: Follow the pack progress and discussion in it’s official thread at the Unity’s community forum.
Gallery includes screenshots from old and current prototype: